Thursday, January 08, 2009

Please Pray for Father John Neuhaus

 


Father John Neuhaus, Lutheran theologian convert to Catholicism and founder/publisher of First Things, is gravely ill.  Father George Rutler, another convert (from the Anglican Church), anointed him and asked that the faithful pray to Saint Joseph for a happy death for this staunch defender of orthodoxy and frequent commentator on EWTN.

The proper work of Catholic intellectuals, Neuhaus believes, is to reformulate
the unchanging doctrines (the "deposit of faith") and the church's non-doctrinal
teachings in the light of new experiences and insights. If they encounter
difficulties, the problem lies not with the church but with themselves. "I think
for myself not to come up with my own teaching," he writes, "but to make the
Church's teaching my own." Accepting church authority on faith is necessary, he
admits, but all thinking rests on some kind of prior faith: "The allegedly
autonomous self who acknowledges no authority but himself is abjectly captive to
the authority of a tradition of Enlightenment rationality that finally collapses
into incoherence."


from a book review at the NY Times




3 comments:

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Now I regret even more that I didn't try to get around my working hours to meet him when he was in my town late last year. Unfortunately, it was not announced AT ALL in our parish bulletins, though every parish was told of the event and every priest was invited to dine with Father Neuhaus. I only discovered it because I subscribe to First Things in Bloglines. And I only discovered it a couple of days in advance of the event.

On the other hand, it was in our bulletin for about a month when Sister Prejean came to town. But that's the Richmond Diocese for ya'.

May God grant him peace and rest. Saint Joseph, please pray that he has a happy death, in the arms of Jesus and Mary. Amen.

Mary said...

I was just made aware that Fr. Neuhaus passed away about about and hour ago. Firsthings has updated it's web page. http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=5312

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful man--a true disciple of Christ. He no doubt in my mind went straight up to Heaven--but just in case--I will pray for the repose of his soul. Our dear beloved brother, and defender of God's truths, will be missed. May he rest in peace.

My Blog List

Blog Archive